Project Goals and Objectives
The goal of the Ethiopia Dairy Development (EDD) Project is to have a competitive Ethiopian dairy industry built on private investment that generates employment and income for smallholder families and provides affordable, high quality, nutritious dairy products for Ethiopian consumers. Private investment in the dairy sector requires a reliable source of high volumes of quality milk as raw material, available in concentrated geographic regions. Ethiopian milk and milk products must not only be of the highest quality, but also available at prices competitive with imports.
The Objectives of the EDD Project are:
1. An expanding population of efficient, profitable smallholder dairy farms employing sustainable, market-linked production technology to produce quality milk in demand by processors and consumers;
2. Producer organizations that efficiently organize smallholder member milk producers and apply best business management practices in providing services to members, including milk collection and cooling, market management, training, technical assistance, and representation and advocacy;
3. Milk processors marketing dairy products recognized for quality and value, capable of managing and expanding their markets, using appropriate, state-of-the-art equipment and processes, and creating opportunity for marketing of increasing volumes of milk produced by smallholder dairy farms in their supply area (milk shed);
4. Increase the private sector inputs, such as artificial insemination technicians, community animal health workers, business development service providers; and
5. Increase demand and consumption of milk.
Who can apply:
Eligible functional categories:
USAID Foreign Assistance for Programs Overseas
If you have problems accessing the full announcement, please contact:
Agency for International Development, Overseas Missions, Ethiopia USAID-Addis Ababa